The Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) was established in 2002 to oversee the promotion, support and development of the tourism industry, the sports sector and sports education. The ministry has four governing offices – the Office of the Minister, the Office of the Permanent Secretary, the Office of Sports and Recreation Development; and the Office of Tourism Development.
The Office of Tourism Development
The Office of Tourism Development under the MOTS assumes duties and responsibilities related to the development of service standards for tourist attractions and tourism products and services offered by the Thai tourism industry. This includes the support of standards for tour businesses and tour guides. The Office’s goal is to achieve sustainable tourism development and generate economic, social and cultural benefits for local communities as well as the country.
Responsibilities of the Office of Tourism Development
- To register and certify tourist businesses and guides, including the issue, extension, suspension and termination of permits, and certification of duplicate copies of any other documents related to the tourism business operators or guides.
- To promote awareness of and encourage tourism business operators and guides to adopt professional standards, methodologies and practices in accordance with the Tourism Business and Tour Guides Act and other Ministerial Decrees.
- To inspect and control tourism business operators, places of business and guides to ensure compliance with the Tourism Business and Tour Guides Act.
- To conduct legal proceedings in cases of misconduct or infringement of the law. Study, analyse, research and compile statistics and data on guidelines for tourism development in accordance with national tourism development policies and plans.
- To establish a development plan for tourism services as well as co-ordinate, promote and support the implementation of the plan.
- To establish a development plan for tour business and tour guide registration, including coordinating, promoting and supporting operations as specified by law.
- To establish a development plan for tourist attraction sites, including co-ordinating, promoting and supporting the implementation of the plan.
- To ensure compliance with the Tourism Business and Tour Guides Act and other relevant laws.
- To monitor and follow up on tourism development performance.
- To promote and support film-making businesses in both the production and service sectors, including relevant businesses.
- To carry out other tasks as specified by law in accordance with authorities and responsibilities of the Office, or as assigned by the Ministry or Cabinet.