- This event has passed.
Lampang Ngan Sapao Chao Lakon 2018
November 21, 2018 - November 23, 2018
In the northern province of Lampang, the Loi Krathong Festival is called “Ngan Sapao Chao Lakon 2018” which this year takes place from 21-23 November at Ban Sing Chai Pier in Mueang district.
Lampang, traditionally known as Wiang Lakon and Khelang Nakhon, prides itself as the only province in northern Thailand that maintains the ancient tradition of ‘long sapao’ (float the illuminated junk) along with the release of fire kites and fireworks as a means of passing on merit to the deceased and oneself in the afterlife.
Lampang’s krathong or sapao (junk) is unique not just for its name, but also how it is made. The local people make ‘sapao’ from vegetables and plants like banana stem, papaya and bamboo as well as coloured paper cup.
They put flowers, candles, joss sticks and daily necessities into a small vessel and float it down the river as a way of paying respect to Buddha and the river goddess, and to ask for blessing for the year to come.
This year highlights at Lampang’s Ngan Sapao Chao Lakon include:
- The decoration of houses with Tung (flags) and lanterns of the Lampang people who are also wearing traditional dress
- The making of Krathong cups in the form of a junk (Ruea Samphao)
- Contests of Sapao Rot, Sapao Nam, and Mae Ying Sapao Kaeo-Sapao Kham
- Sales of local arts and crafts unique to Lampang
- Folk musical performances and unusual show of Lanna-style lanterns by the Ban Chiang Rai Road
For more information, please contact:
Tourism Authority of Thailand Lampang Office
Tel: +66 (0) 5422 2214
Email: [email protected]