Bangkok, 27 June 2016 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) today announced the 17 most popular tourist attractions and activities in Thailand, as well as fruits and dishes among Chinese tourists.
H.E. General Tanasak Patimapragorn, Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand, and H.E. Mrs. Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism and Sports, presided over the “2016 People’s Choice Awards Thailand Voted by Chinese Tourists” ceremony at the Henri Dunant Hall, Royal Bangkok Sports Club.
The contest was a continuation of a project launched very successfully in 2015 to enhance Thailand’s tourism profile and brand image via social-media networks, which are frequented by millions of Chinese every day. It also helps support the many Thai tourism products and services seeking more exposure in the Chinese market.
TAT organised the voting campaign in partnership with Tencent, which owns a number of Chinese online channels; such as, WeChat (570 million users/day), QZone (330 million users/day), QQmessenger (27 million users/day) and Tencent News (27 million users/day).
Chinese who have travelled to Thailand were invited to vote via the website www.peopleschoiceawardsthailand.com between 7-19 June, 2016, in 17 categories; such as, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants, Thai food, spas, shopping malls, golf courses, etc. A total of 3,239,362 people participated in the voting.
They were enticed to vote by the offer of a lucky draw prize of a five-day package tour of Bangkok and surrounding areas for two people, as well as two round-trip tickets between China – Samui Island (1 prize), China – Krabi (1 prize), China – Sukhothai (1 prize) and China – Chiang Rai (1 prize) as well as over 100 other prizes.
The 2016 People’s Choice Awards Thailand Candidate Winners are as follows:
1. Luxury Hotel: Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel (36,985 Votes)
2. Beach Hotel: Cape Dara Resort Pattaya (30,809 Votes)
3. City Hotel: Banyan Tree Bangkok (26,977 Votes)
4. Boutique Hotel: 137 Pillars House Chiang Mai (23,466 Votes)
5. Restaurant: Baan Rim Pa Phuket (21,907 Votes)
6. Spa: Let’s Relax Phuket (66,895 Votes)
7. Shopping Area: Asiatique The Riverfront (27,248 Votes)
8. Shopping Mall: CentralWorld Zen Department Store (19,146 Votes)
9. Attraction: Pattaya Floating Market (28,498 Votes)
10. Show: Muay Thai Live: The Legend Lives (64,053 Votes)
11. Destination: Chiang Mai (19,516 Votes)
12. Golf Course: Gassan Khuntan Golf and Resort Lamphun (22,885 Votes)
13. Medical & Wellness: Vejthani Hospital (60,021 Votes)
14. Airline: Thai Airways (71,243 Votes)
15. Fruit: Durian (18,717 Votes)
16. Festival: Songkran (Thai New Year), (69,858 Votes)
17. Dish: Stir-fried Crab Meat with Curry Powder (17,654 Votes)
Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand said, “We are very happy with the response to this unique campaign. China is a very competitive market and we are happy to have worked with Tencent for the second consecutive year to ensure that Thailand remains a top-line destination in the minds of Chinese visitors.”
In 2015, Thailand attracted 7.9 million Chinese tourists, generating an estimated 376 billion Baht in revenue for the Thai economy, up respectively 71% and 87% over 2014.
In 2016, TAT expects Chinese tourists will total 10.5 million with an estimated expenditure of 509 billion Baht.
Click here to see the overall atmosphere of the event: 2016 People’s Choice Awards Thailand Voted by Chinese Tourists
International Public Relations Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2250 5500 ext. 4545-48
Fax: +66 (0) 2250 0246
E-mail: [email protected]
Facebook: TAT Newsroom
Twitter: TAT Newsroom
Instagram: TAT Newsroom