The following information has been updated on 26 September, 2021.
The “Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension” programme enables fully vaccinated international travellers to reduce the mandatory stay in Phuket from 14 to 7 days, after which another 7 nights can be spent in any of the extension areas in Krabi (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Ngai, or Railay), Phang-Nga (Khao Lak or Ko Yao), or Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, or Ko Tao).
Travellers must travel from countries/territories approved by Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), and must have been in the said countries for no less than 21 days before their travel date – except Thai nationals and foreign expatriates returning from overseas.
They must apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE), using the following documents:
- Copy of a valid passport.
- Copy of the payment confirmation for no less than 14 nights stay at SHA Plus-certified hotel/s and for RT-PCR tests via www.thailandpsas.com. If the length of stay is less than 14 nights, travellers must also present a confirmed flight ticket out of Thailand.
- A certificate of vaccination against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health or the World Health Organisation (WHO) no less than 14 days before their travel date. Travellers who have recovered from COVID-19 also need to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before travel.
- Copy of an insurance policy in English covering healthcare and treatment expenses for COVID-19 per applicant for the whole duration in Thailand with coverage clearly identified as no less than US$100,000.
TAT recommends that travellers make sure to check the small print of any COVID-19 insurance policy before purchasing. Ultimately, the policy should cover the cost of treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation. The policy should also cover the whole duration that travellers are planning to stay in Thailand.
Travellers must undergo exit screening before departure, must and present all the required documentation including a medical certificate with a laboratory result by an RT-PCR method indicating that COVID-19 is not detected no more than 72 hours before their travel date.
Travellers under 18 years of age, travelling with their parents or guardians, must have a medical certificate with a laboratory result by an RT-PCR method indicating that COVID-19 is not detected no more than 72 hours before their travel date.
- Travellers on direct international flights to Phuket International Airport are subject to health screening, including a COVID-19 nasal swab RT-PCR testing and Immigration procedures at the point of entry. Click to see the “7-Step Flow at Phuket International Airport” or “7 Steps 7 Countdown”. Children under 6 years of age will receive a COVID-19 saliva RT-PCR testing. *Travellers on transit/transfer flights from Bangkok are subject to health and Immigration procedures at the first point of entry into Thailand, and undergo steps as required at Phuket International Airport.
- Travellers must download and install an alert application, as well as set the application on at all times for the whole duration in Thailand.
- Then, proceed directly to the reserved hotel on the approved airport transfer service.
- Wait for the result of the first COVID-19 test (conducted upon arrival or Day 0) in the hotel room only.
- If testing negative for COVID-19, travellers can go anywhere in Phuket. However, they are not allowed to stay overnight in any other places than the reserved hotel. In addition, they are required to report to the hotel’s SHA Plus Manager on a daily basis, or upon return to the hotel from their outing and excursion.
During the Stay
- Travellers are welcome to visit Phuket only and can stay less than 14 nights. However, they must leave Phuket immediately on an international flight to another country.
- During the stay, they are still required to take additional RT-PCR tests on Day 6-7 and/or on Day 12-13. The number of additional tests will depend on the duration of their stay.
- Travellers must have completed 14 nights in Phuket before being allowed to visit other Thai destinations than the extension areas. They must also have tested negative for COVID-19 for 2 more times on Day 6-7 and Day 12-13.
Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension
- Before being allowed to travel to any of the extension areas in Krabi (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Ngai, or Railay Beach), Phang-Nga (Khao Lak or Ko Yao), or Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, or Ko Tao), travellers must obtain a ‘Transfer Form’ issued by their hotel in Phuket indicating that they have stayed in Phuket for 7 nights, which they will need to show together with the negative results of their two COVID-19 tests (conducted on Day 0 and Day 6-7 in Phuket) upon entering your extension area.
- Travelling from Phuket to the extension areas is available only via approved routes and approved modes of transport.
- Krabi (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Ngai, or Railay) can be reached by SHA Plus boat and ferry services from the approved piers (Ao Po, Chalong, Rassada, and Wisit Panwa).
- Phang-Nga (Khao Lak) can be reached by SHA Plus car transfer services from Phuket direct to the SHA Plus hotels.
- Phang-Nga (Ko Yao Noi or Ko Yao Yai) can be reached via SHA Plus boat and ferry services from the approved piers (Ao Po and Ao Po Grand Marina) to two approved piers on Ko Yao Yai (Chonglat and Ban Laem Yai) and to an approved pier on Ko Yao Noi (Manoh).
- Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, or Ko Tao) can be reached via Bangkok Airways’ direct domestic flight on the Phuket-Ko Samui route.
- Once travellers have completed the 7-night extension in the extension area, and have tested negative in their third COVID-19 test (conducted on Day 12-13), they will receive a ‘Release Form’ from their hotel, and will be able to continue their journey to other destinations in Thailand.
- If the stay in the extension area is less than 7 nights, travellers must proceed directly to Phuket International Airport on the day of departure. At the point of entry back into Phuket, they will need to show a plane ticket or other proof of their international travel from Phuket.
- If the stay in the extension area is less than 7 nights, and travellers wish to spend the remaining nights under the Phuket Sandbox, they must make sure that they meet all requirements for entering Phuket, which can include having a negative result for their most recent COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours before their travel date.
Phuket Cruise Excursions & Shore Trips
- Phuket excursions by sea can be enjoyed by using SHA Plus boat and ferry services from the approved piers (Ao Po, Chalong, Rassada, and Wisit Panwa).
- Phuket cruising and yachting excursions can be enjoyed by using SHA Plus cruise and yacht services from the approved piers (Yacht Haven Marina, Ao Po Grand Marina, Phuket Boat Lagoon, Royal Phuket Marina, and Chalong Pier)
- Travellers are required to take additional RT-PCR tests as per the following:
- Travellers with a length of stay less than 7 days are required to take another test on Day 6-7.
- Travellers with a length of stay between 10-14 days are required to take the second test on Day 6-7 and the third test on Day 12-13.
- If testing positive for COVID-19, travellers will be referred to a healthcare facility for medical treatment, for which the expenses must be covered by the required insurance.
Health & Safety Precautions
Protect yourself and others from COVID-19
While in Thailand, travellers are advised to continue with the D-M-H-T-T-A precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19: D – Distancing, M – Mask wearing, H – Handwashing, T – Temperature check, T – Testing for COVID-19, and A – alert application. Masks must be worn at all times in public areas and in any vehicle with two or more people.
The Royal Thai Government places the highest priority on the safety and well-being of every visitor to Thailand. And as the main government agency responsible for the promotion and marketing of Thailand as a preferred destination, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is working closely with all concern public and private organisations to ensure the utmost efforts to prevent any unfortunate incidents occurring on tourists and the local Thai people.
International / Domestic Departure
- For travelling from Phuket to other countries, travellers are advised to follow the guidelines and measures announced by the respective country of their destination.
- For travelling from Phuket to other Thai destinations, travellers are required to show proof that they have completed a 14-night stay in Phuket together with the negative results of their 3 COVID-19 tests along with other required documentation per the guidelines and measures announced by the respective destinations.
- For travelling from the extension area, travellers are required to show proof that they have completed a 7-night stay in Phuket and another 7-night stay in an extension area together with the negative results of their 3 COVID-19 tests along with other required documentation per the guidelines and measures announced by the respective destinations.