Bangkok, 20 April, 2020, at 09.00 Hrs. – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), in collaboration with the public and private sector partners, is introducing an “Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration: SHA” certification aimed at elevating the country’s tourism industry standards and developing confidence among international and domestic tourists.
The project is part of TAT’s efforts to mitigate the impacts of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) crisis and accelerate recovery in the travel and tourism sector. The Amazing Thailand SHA certification is to prepare Thai tourism operators to be ready for the return of tourism post COVID-19.
TAT is currently working on details of the Amazing Thailand SHA certification together with the Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau, Board of Trade of Thailand, Federation of Thai Spa and Wellness Association, Thai Retailers Association, Thai Hotels Association, Association of Domestic Travel, Thai Amusement and Leisure Park Association, Thai Restaurant Association, Thai Spa Association, Thai Boats Association, and Event Management Association.
Works in the process include establishing the SHA criteria, introducing the committee, preparing the application and selection process, and planning marketing and publicity for the SHA-certified tourism establishments and services.
The evaluation methods and methodology of assessment for tourism establishments and services to be certified with the Amazing Thailand SHA certification will cover five key areas.
- Tourism establishments and services must strictly follow the COVID-19 control guidelines by the Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health.
- The safety of attractions and facilities with development plans or operation procedures that focus on ensuring tourist safety while maintaining local culture and promoting interaction between local communities and tourists.
- Hygiene and sanitation in tourism establishments and services; such as, homestays, lodges, souvenir shops and restaurants.
- Convenience, cleanliness, and safety of linkages between communities and attractions, as well as the safety and health standards of transportation, including private cars, public buses, and airlines.
- The confidence in tourism personnel in tourism establishments, including tourist safety and security protocol.
The Amazing Thailand SHA project is a part of TAT’s realigned strategy amid the COVID-19 crisis, which also includes the plans to stimulate spending from domestic tourism.