Bangkok, 07 April, 2020, at 18.00 Hrs. – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to provide further updates that Phuket has ordered a lockdown of three more areas – Kathu, Chalong and Srisoonthorn Sub-districts, in addition to Patong, Karon and Rawai, as part of the unprecedented measures to stop the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The areas of Kathu Sub-district in Kathu District, Chalong Sub-district in Mueang District, and Srisoonthorn Sub-district in Thalang District, which are also deemed high risks for the COVID-19 infection, have been ordered a lockdown from today, 7 April, 2020, until further notice.
Similar to the lockdown orders for Patong, Karon and Rawai Sub-districts, the lockdown orders for Kathu, Chalong and Srisoonthorn Sub-districts include:
- A ban on entry and exit with the exception of vehicles transporting consumer goods, cooking gas, fuel, medical supplies and equipment; rescue vehicles; ambulances, medical emergency vehicles; state vehicles; logistics vehicles for post and newspapers – all of whom must strictly comply with the orders of the local communicable disease control officers.
- To ensure no entry and exit, checkpoints have been set up:
- At Kathu Sub-district, there are four checkpoints at the Kathu-Rasada border on Pra Phuket Kaeo Road, Kathu-Wichit border on Wichit Songkhram Road, Kathu-Wichit border on Mueang Chao Fa Road, and Kathu- Ko Kaeo on Kathu-Nako Road.
- At Chalong Sub-district, there are eight checkpoints at the Chalong-Wichit border on Chao Fa East Road, Soi Tachai on Chao Fa East Road, Soi Ta-iad on Soi Ta-iad Road, Soi Palai on Soi Palai Road, Klong Katha Dam on the road behind Wat Luang Pu Supa, the entrance to the Big Buddha Hill on Yodsane 1 and 2 Roads, Karon-Chalong border on Patak Road, and Soi Suki on Soi Suki Road.
- At Srisoonthorn Sub-district, there are three checkpoints at Ban Bang Jo Junction on Srisoonthorn Road, Ban Bangjo-Pasak Soi 8 border on Pasak Soi 8 Road, and Pa Khlok-Srisoonthorn border on Pier Road – Pa Khlok.
- Local police stations of the respective sub-districts in cooperation with the local communicable disease control officers are instructed to carry out the screening at the checkpoints in accordance with the law.
- Measures to prevent and control the spread of the COVID-19:
- The Phuket Provincial Public Health Division are ordered to collaborate with the respective districts and sub-district municipality offices on the health screening of all residents within the Kathu, Chalong and Srisoonthorn Sub-districts. Any resident deemed at risk will be isolated and transferred to a designated hospital for quarantine or treatment.
- All three sub-district municipality offices are ordered to conduct a blanket disinfection of all public areas, streets, residences, and shops.
- Following the previous order on the temporary closure of hotels and similar establishments, operators are ordered to arrange accommodation for staff who are still required to remain at the properties to carry out outstanding tasks, such as, accounting and maintenance.
- Seeking the collaboration of all residents in the three sub-districts not to leave their residence.
TAT is constantly providing updates on the tourism-related COVID-19 situation in Thailand at the TAT Newsroom (https://www.tatnews.org/). For additional information and assistance relating to Thailand’s tourism, contact the TAT Contact Centre 1672 or Tourist Police 1155.
For constant updates of Thailand’s COVID-19 control measures for travellers, please visit https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php.
This press release is published on 07 April, 2020, at 18.00 Hrs. All information is accurate at the current time but can be changed depending on the situation. The TAT Newsroom will not be updating this press release but will issue new updates as soon as further information becomes available.